Tifosi Roubaix: 5
- Quality lenses
- 3 sets of lenses included
- Adjustable temple and nose piece
Why Tifosi? Because they make some of the highest quality lenses at a bargaign price. Tifosi Roubaix comes with 3 pairs of interchangeable lenses, virtually indestructible frame, a semi-hard case and microfibre cloth. All this for $60.
The lenses are very easy to change. With some other sunglasses, you have to squeeze and push so hard that you feel you’re going to break them. With Tifosi’s Roubaix, you only have to take the lens between two fingers and turn outwards. No effort needed. And the good news is that it’s hard to take them off unintentionally. Also, the lenses won’t shatter if you drop them. So if you fall, the lenses won’t pose a threat to your eyes.
The frame is made from Grilamid TR-90 plastic, which bends easily, but is virtually unbreakable. The ear and nose piece are made of hydrophilic material. This means that when you wear them, the more you sweat, the better they stick to your skin. I temporarily removed the nose piece myself, as I have a rather large nose (I used to lie a lot when I was little). My Roubaix sunglasses still don’t slip. Because of the earpieces, I guess. The ear and nose pieces are both adjustable.
The nose piece are back on though, because with them, they sit higher on my nose. And when I’m on the bike, sitting at a 45 degree angle, the sunglasses shield my eyes better from the wind and midday sun. If you have a “comfort” bike (upright position), you might not need the nose piece, because the wind hits you almost head-on.
Click on a thumbnail for a larger view. Press arrow keys or click on the left/right of the picture to see previous/next one.
You have several frame and lens colors to choose from. The best lens colors for cycling are:
- Smoke (gray.) 80% light blocking.
- AC Red (All Conditions Red, or just orange.) 20% light blocking, for overcast days and early morning/evening. Really comfortable color! And it really feels “all conditions”. Because I wore them several times in full sunlight. You’ll squint only when the sun is in front of you (early morning / late afternoon).
- Clear. About 2% light blocking. Great for night riding!
All of the lenses, even the clear ones, block ultraviolet rays, UVA and UVB. Other lens colors (GT – Golf/Tennis, EC – Extreme Contrast and Brown) are designed mostly for Golf and Tennis. Choose carefully the lens and frame color combination you like when ordering. It’s easy to do that on Amazon (and the price is right). For cycling, pick one that says “Smoke, Ac Red, Clear Lens“.
For people who wear glasses, the Tifosi Roubaix model is RX-inserts compatible. The RX piece can be purchased separately. I wear contact lenses myself, as my entire field of view is in focus.
Tifosi Roubaix Specifications:
- Frame : Grilamid TR-90 plastic
- Size : For large to extra large faces
- MSRP : $60
- 3 pairs of interchangeable lenses included
- Adjustable ear and nose pieces
- RX insert compatible (purchased separately)
- Weight : 70 grams
- Semi-hard case with 4 compartments for the lenses. Micro fiber cloth included.
Tifosi Roubaix, like all Tifosi sunglasses I’ve seen, are high quality cycling sunglasses. Tifosi are the best in this price category. For $60 you get an indestructible frame with three very good pairs of lenses. So before thinking about paying $200 for those sunglasses you’ve been dreaming about, buy Tifosi Roubaix. You’ll be glad you did. And you don’t even have to thank me later.